Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Views from our Windows

My mantra in this blog has been "What am I gonna do with all my old pictures?"
I'm putting a collection of 12 old Old Colorado City paintings and drawings in a special one-time art sale to benefit the Old Colorado City History Center, the Friday of Founders' Weekend, Aug. 7, 5-8 p.m. at the center. I really appreciate this opportunity to get that number of pictures actually possibly moved.
The final 4 pictures (I think) I've chosen to put in that sale are my favorites, the last of the views of Sacred Heart Church I've painted from our upstairs bedroom windows since '76. It's great having a good view.

Cinco de Mayo '98, oil 30" x 40"


Sacred Heart and Cheyenne Mountain, acrylics 20" x 28", 1987


Sacred Heart in Winter, acrylics 18" x 24", 1976


Sacred Heart in Summer, acrylics 18" x 24", 1977


And then no sooner did I get these pictures ready for sale, I discovered about 8-12 more old drawings of Colorado Springs that are from this same era, just sitting in an old folder in our crawl space waiting to be matted and framed. I wonder if I can get them ready for this sale at the history center?
Is there no end to this?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jack,
I so relate to your "unsold" collection!
Thanks to Judy Wise I found your site. I know it is hard to judge if you are getting "out" there or not.
I really like these paintings & would love to have one. Sadly, I'm on a very limited budget.I think you've really captured the area.
I have my own stash, my own family that are overdosed on my "gifts". I understand. That's about all I can offer.
All best.

Anonymous said...

These images have become part of my perspective of Sacred Heart and that smidgen of 21st & Pikes Peak ave. I've always taken it for granted but seeing them here gives me a reflective pause--thank you for contributing to my fond memories of it.