Monday, June 8, 2009

The Ubiquitous Waiting List

Yesterday I took 5 works into Arati Artist's Gallery, a co-op of 19 artists who had their monthly meeting this morning.
In addition to my new Old Town Mazatlan painting and West St. Elmo, I took:

Holy Taos Mountain, oil 30" x 48"


San Jose de Gracia church at Las Trampas, NM, oil 20" x 30"


Geronimo, walnut carving, 10" x 20"


I took the carving in mainly as an amusement, it was my least expensive item, they have good 3-d displays at Arati but no carvings, and I've got a few old carved Indian heads just sitting around, waiting for me to do something with them. They're a little bit like puppets, I find myself talking to them, and even talking for them like a ventriloquist when I'm holding them.
Anyhow, before noon I got a pleasant phone call from Janet Oyler, an excellent scenic watercolorist whom I talked with a few times over the past week, and she explained I'd not been chosen but it was "very close", that there were 5 artists vying for the one opening and that others had been on their waiting list. She asked if I would like to be added to their waiting list, and I said by all means.
The ubiquitous waiting list. "It could be a month or a year," Jan said.
I felt relief because then I could continue goofing off, but then as I returned those pictures to their walls and the carving to its empty spot I realized that once again I was faced with my same old question:
What am I gonna do with all these pictures (and carvings)?

5 comments:

femminismo said...

Very lively, colorful paintings. You will get on the list, I am sure of it! And the paintings will fly home with happy buyers. Better stock up on more paint! Like your blog. Continue! - Jeanne in Oregon

Peggy said...

Found out about your blog from Judy Wise's blog. Love her blog to death. Anyway I live in Manitou Springs and will be following you too. Will have to check you out at Arati.

Ginny Gaskill said...

Welcome to blogland! Your paintings are beautiful and I wish you lots of luck with your new adventures.

Lynn Cohen said...

What a talented family you spring from.
Judy sent me here and glad I came. Your work is awesome~! Wow. Enjoy blogland. It's a great source of inspiration and encouragement.
You look like you've gone places with your art already and will certainly continue to do so.

katie said...

beautiful paintings - and welcome to the blogosphere! i can so relate to your post as i received a "not chosen" email today as well. i do recognize that the "goofing off" part, without the pressure of production, truly is a blessing - to play and experiment without trying to please.

stack those paintings up and make a wall if you need to,
the magic and joy is in the process, the learning and the discovery, where the artist lives on and our art thrives and expands.

That being said, i do appreciate being accepted into venues to sell and/or teach, to get recognition and appreciation for what we create, as well as make money to support us, our families, and our art habits. We never know what golden opportunity lies in wait for us around the corner.

oh, i came here via judy who is a special friend ( i love her dearly!), my art mentor, and a constant inspiration for my art and my life.