Friday, July 24, 2009

The Flyer Brigade

I've made my living in part by producing flyers, you know, those pesky 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper that end up even lying around in gutters. I was hoping I was done doing that, but no, I'm now producing flyers for the Old Colorado City Historical Society, because that's what I can do in return for their helping me with my art show on Friday, Aug. 7, 5-8 p.m. Here's the flyer about it:



Flyers are one of the main ways of advertising for OCCHS. Many of its members also volunteer their time and so these flyers have presumably been going to all the local merchants and to people on the mailing list.
The price on the flyer for my painting says $800, but I'm actually going to sell it for less than that. This is, after all, a sale.
That weekend of Aug. 7 & 8 is a big weekend here, since it's the Sesquicentennial Celebration of Old Colorado City. Here's the flyer:



It's black and white because that way anybody can produce these flyers on their home printers.

I also made another flyer for the other August event for OCCHS, the annual Cemetery Crawl:





The Cemetery Crawl is a lot of fun and is popular. It raises funds for OCCHS, which I'm doing as well. These funds help pay the mortgage and big monthly utility bill for the center, just to start with. And the activities of the history center help attract lots of people to the area. Their operating budget allows them to accomplish a lot in historical documentation and preservation.





The illustration for the Cemetery Crawl is from a photo of Dave Hughes as Anthony Bott. Dave is the Treasurer of OCCHS and he asked me for a caricature of Anthony Bott. This is the best I could come up with.

No comments: