Monday, November 15, 2010

Day Three, at Mt. Evans

The final day of Don Sahli's plein air class was west of Evergreen, with a fine view of Mt. Evans.

Mt. Evans, oil 20" x 24":

This was the warmest day and we just enjoyed ourselves, painting in the sun. I didn't set up on purpose to get Diane and Weatherly in the picture, but there they were, and remembering Don Sahli's painting of me yesterday I just proceeded.

Between our first and second pictures Don showed us how he carries canvases in his car, on custom plywood racks. He had a 30" x 40" canvas handy, to show us how large a canvas the French easel will take, and even larger.

He likes big oil paintings, and doesn't limit himself to small canvases to begin with.

I used a cool blue turpentine wash to begin my first painting, and learned how much that initial wash affects the temperature of your entire painting. After this I'm sticking with warm washes, although on my second painting I used a green wash that I won't use again.

Red Barn near Evergreen, oil 20" x 24":



I thank Don Sahli for the great painting experience. I'm pleased with all I learned, and happy with what I produced. And I'm looking forward to producing more on my (not-so-new-now) French easel.

No comments: